Pages

Wednesday 11 February 2015

It's been a while, I know...

...So much time has passed, so many things have happened and so much has changed.

In an unfathomable twist of events Barry has become somewhat more sedate.  Well, that might be a slight overstatement but he certainly is not El Diablo all the time anymore.  He tends rather to pick his moments to become unhinged, only letting his closest K9 pals see his silly side. Much to my amusement he has even taken to telling off young pups who badger him to play, in much the same way that he used to goad the seniors in the park.

Gertrude I suppose is much the same, just perhaps a little wider!  She is still the size of a puppy and still knows it, approaching shepherds, collies, greyhounds and anything else that may try to chase or herd her with trepidation and usually from behind my legs.

Last year was not all that much fun for me.  Not wishing to dwell on the matter, suffice it to say that I spent much of my time wishing that I was not here.  Or anywhere.  I had devised my argument with clarity and certainty that the world would in fact be a better place if I was not in it.  Of that fact I was adamant apart from one niggling thought lurking in the back of my mind.  My dogs.  There could be better wives, daughters and sisters but nobody would or could love my dogs as much as I do.

Now that may or may not be true but thank goodness I believed it!  And thank goodness for my dogs.  I gave them so little last year.  They were fed and watered but had so little in the way of growth and stimulation.  Despite this and always in my darkest hours Barry and Gertrude would be with me. By my side.  Curled up in bed shrouded in the shadows while the sun shone brightly outside.  Never questioning, never arguing and never judging.

That quality is most definitely evidence of greatness in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment